The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) are doing their regular rounds or “Tax Mapping” to different business establishments to inspect compliance, and doctor’s clinic is one of their favorite. Tax Mapping is also called as Tax Compliance Verification Drive done usually every quarter.
Its purpose is to inspect compliance of business establishments like your clinic regarding the registration, invoicing, bookkeeping and other rules and regulation to catch tax evaders.
They are good in catching you. There are numerous reports that some BIR collectors are posing as patients to see if you will be issuing your receipts to them. (see this report)
To avoid penalties during a Tax Mapping procedure, you have to know what they want to see and what you need to provide:
- You have to register to the BIR.
- Failure to Register: Penalties of at least 20,000.
- See this post on how to register.
- Failure to pay Annual Registration Fee on Due Date
- Penalty: 1,000
- Failure to Display the following in your Clinic:
- BIR certificate of registration
- Annual Registration fee and
- Notice to public “ASK FOR RECEIPT” signage
- Penalty: 1,000 per offense. If you don’t have the 3 documents displayed above, your penalty is 3,000.
- Failure or refusal to issue receipts
- 1st Offense
- Failure = 10,000
- Refusal = 25,000
- 2nd Offense:
- Failure = 20,000
- Refusal = 50,000
- 1st Offense
- Books of accounts
- Professionals like doctors are expected to present two books: the Books of Income and Books of Expenses.
- What are you required to do to these books:
- Register the books of accounts
- Keep the Books of Account in your CLINIC or place of practice
- Make entries in the book (you may have a registered book that is in your place of practice, but it could be blank if you don’t make entries).
- Penalties: Graduated Rates of 200 – 200,000 depending upon the degree of your offense, like the time there is no record/books not in the clinic.
- Register your receipts to BIR
- Penalty: failure to register is a fine of 1,000 – 50,000.
Do you want to simplify your life and avoid penalties?
I had the opportunity to teach Taxation 101 for Doctors in a group of doctors in St. Claire’s Hospital in Makati yesterday sponsored by Taxumo. Let me tell you their story, you may need them someday.
Taxumo is a support technology that has one sole purpose, to simplify your life with tax and your love/hate relationship with BIR. They will be launching their web and mobile application soon. I have seen their prototype and it encompasses taxation services from registration, computation, filling up forms to submission and payment – all could be done online. Wow!
What’s even great?
They are giving you one month free use of their service once they launch. All you have to do is to reply and answer this survey. The answers will be kept confidential and I assure you that they are not in anyway connected to the BIR.
Here is the link to the survey to get a one month free access to Taxumo’s service upon launch. They will be in touch with you for this: http://bit.ly/taxumodoctors
I will actually use the responses as well to come up with my longtime dream of creating a book on Tax specially made just for you: Doctors! What do you think about this idea? Hope you can all support it.
We will also come up with workshops like taxation, retirement and basic investing for doctors and people in the medical profession. We are looking for topics that would be of interest to you.
Please do let us know what you think by commenting below.
“Knowledge is power”
If you know what you need to have and accomplish during the Tax Mapping, you can avoid the penalties and the stress that it could give.
Informing you about life,
- Part 1: How to Register as a Doctor in BIR
- Part 2: Guide to Moonlighters/Starting Private Practice
- Part 3: How to File your INCOME TAX RETURN as Physician
- Part 4: Penalties for not filing your INCOME TAX on time
- Part 5: How to Compute your INCOME TAX RETURN
- Why Most Filipino Doctors are Not RICH? What are your Obstacles?
Latest posts by Pinky De Leon-Intal, MD, RFC (see all)
- Top 6 Saving Tips this 2018 to Start Your Year Right - 4 January, 2018
- My 4-year-old Daughter is Now a Successful Entrepreneur - 23 November, 2017
- How I Got 41,600 from SSS Maternity Benefit - 8 November, 2017